Director of Retail
Company: Habitat For Humanity International
Posted on: February 19, 2021
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Retail will
manage and grow a retail operation that sells used and over-stock
building materials, appliances, and furniture to provide a revenue
stream used to support sustainable funding source for Habitat for
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees and manages all Restore operations, full P&L
responsibility, donation procurement, talent recruiting &
retention, and retail operations.
- Partners with Development (Fundraising) Team to grow and
nurture ReStore In-Kind Donations program.
- Partners with Community Engagement to develop an effective
volunteer base to help carry out the work of the Restore as
- Builds upon and executes the Retail Strategic Plan as part of
the Affiliate's Strategic Plan.
- Sets a positive environment for all employees, volunteers and
patrons. Provide superior customer service; safeguards that
grievances are addressed appropriately.
- Ensures all activities are carried out in a safe and healthy
manner, meeting all OSHA and environmental requirements.
Financial Management and Development
- Oversees ReStore finances and cash flows to ensure compliance
with approved budget.
- Provide monthly reports of sales activities, expenses, progress
on projects, etc. to Executive Director for Board of
- Work closely with the Executive Director to create and
implement policies and procedures for efficient and effective
operation of the ReStore, as well as plans for promotion of and
growth in the ReStore - including online sales and additional
- Implement and monitor daily monetary transactions and
- Monitor competitive pricing and practices. Set pricing for all
merchandise consistent with existing policy and train staff
Personnel and Volunteer Management
- Screens, hires and discharges Restore staff.
- Participates in the onboarding of all ReStore and Affiliate
- Implements and enforces DHFH personnel policies.
- Supervises trains and directs key staff in the performance of
their duties, including determining staff job descriptions.
- Evaluates the performance of ReStore store managers no less
frequently than bi-annually.
- Oversees control and direction for the personnel and volunteer
function at ReStore.
- Provides recommendations to the Executive Director on proposed
changes in staffing and organization structure.
- Prepares Annual Operational Plans and Budgets for approval of
the Affiliate Board of Directors
- Oversees and directs the ReStore team activity to ensure
schedule and within budget.
- Oversees and directs the Restore team to ensure sales meet or
exceed stated targets.
- Ensures all policies and practices associated with the donation
to and sale of materials from the ReStore are followed.
- Ensures that all facilities are clean, inviting, with
appropriate merchandising that appeals to all, and that all
equipment, vehicles, and the like are maintained to the highest
Marketing, HFH Affiliates, Public and Community Relationships
- Maintains relationships with other area ReStore and local
Habitat for Humanity Affiliates, DHFH staff and volunteers, and
Habitat partner families.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with local
coalitions, funding sources, supporters and donors including
religious and corporate organizations; federal, state and local
government units; other agencies donating to provide a steady flow
of goods and merchandise.
- Document donations and sales of goods and merchandise precisely
and in accord with policy.
- Provides positive visibility of DuPage Habitat for Humanity
ReStore in the community.
- Oversee and coordinate a marketing plan that includes
advertising, networking, in-store display/sales presentation,
website development in order to solicit donations, recruit
volunteers and boost sales.
- Maximize the use of donor and customer base with an eye toward
increasing donations and sales.
Senior Leadership Team
- Serve as a member of Senior Leadership Team and follow that
team's mission to "Recruit and develop individual talent into
championship teams to grow the organization in the mission of
Habitat." In that role the Director of Retail:
- Supports Increasing resources and their effectiveness;
collaborating and leveraging opportunities with an entrepreneurial
- Serves as a strategic thought partner on substantive issues
that are relevant to the pursuit of the mission focusing on staff
support and management, budgeting, short and long term strategy,
addressing crisis, and pursuing new opportunities.
- Performs other duties as may become necessary or required for
the successful implementation of the organization's mission.
THE IDEAL APPLICANT WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Leadership ability and previous retail management
- Demonstrated initiative, ability to work with multiple teams,
and ability to manage functional areas. Experience in managing
multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Strong professional written and verbal communication skills and
outstanding interpersonal skills are a must
- Professional and cooperative manner and the ability to work
with community leadership, board members and donors outside the
- Demonstrated passion for and understanding of the
organization's mission, vision and values
- Progressive thinker and visionary with complete understanding
of relationship management
- Ability to motivate others to produce quality materials with
tight deadlines and simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to participate in and facilitate team-oriented and
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving and technical
- High energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethic
- Ability to represent Habitat for Humanity with diverse
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor's degree in business management or a related
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- Professional experience with 5 years' experience working in
retail/project management. A background in multi-store management
is a plus.
- Knowledge of the not for profit development, fundraising,
business and civic community in the DuPage County area a plus.
- Preferably familiarity with Habitat for Humanity and affordable
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills;
excellent oral communication and ability to participate in public
- Excellent written communication, research, and organizational
- Interest, enthusiasm, and affinity for retail and working with
The successful applicant will work well in diverse teams and with
varied constituencies. The applicant will enjoy driving change and
adapting to market trends. The individual will be self-motivated,
work well under pressure and be able to handle several projects at
one time. The individual will have good judgment and, ideally, a
sense of humor.
Please email cover letter and resume to: Jobs@dupagehabitat.org
*Qualified candidates will be contacted
*Please do not phone to inquire about application status
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE
CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE.
Location: Wheaton, IL State/Region: Job Type: Employment Type:
Affiliate Job Function: US Affiliate Travel: About Habitat for
Humanity Habitat for Humanity , founded in 1976, is a global,
Christian-based nonprofit organization that grew out of an
intentionally multi-racial community in rural Georgia. Seeking to
put God's love into action, Habitat brings together people of all
faiths and people of no faith to build homes, communities and hope.
Working alongside each other, we help families and individuals
build and improve places to call home and achieve the strength,
stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for
themselves. Habitat--seeks individuals who have a willingness to
affirm these principles and values. Habitat for Humanity
International is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ
and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a
manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person
because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age,
national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation,
veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or
characteristic protected by law. All rights reserved. "Habitat for
Humanity--" is a registered service mark owned by Habitat for
Humanity International. Habitat-- is a service mark of Habitat for
Humanity International. Habitat for Humanity-- International is a
tax-exempt 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization. Your gift is
tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Keywords: Habitat For Humanity International, Wheaton , Director of Retail, Hospitality & Tourism , Wheaton, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!