Construction Crew Leader - 2020-21
Company: Habitat for Humanity
Posted on: May 2, 2021
Construction Crew Leader - 2020-21
For one year, you can get paid to build sustainable solutions in a
community, gain valuable hands on experience and prepare for your
future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great
opportunity to make a real impact in the lives of others while
building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service
and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and
repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and
homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a
safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing
your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday - Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks
including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing,
insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical
home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and
positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety
policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer
education and site monitoring.
Where will you serve?
Serve, learn, lead and explore just outside of Chicago. DuPage
Habitat for Humanity has been hosting AmeriCorps members since
2011. Our AmeriCorps members play an integral role in providing
leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become
champions for our mission and creating new tools and systems to
build capacity. Our members are the ambassadors of DuPage Habitat
for Humanity, interacting with over 3,000 volunteers, homeowner
families and community stakeholders. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps
living allowance and education award include communal housing with
other AmeriCorps members. In your off hours, there is so much to do
in our community. Chicago and all that it provides is a short train
ride away. DuPage County also has a number of great downtown areas
with great dining, shopping and more. Social activities are also
organized throughout the year for our AmeriCorps members. Past
events include karaoke, concerts, potluck dinners and an outing to
a Chicago White Sox games. DuPage County also has miles of trails
and paths for enjoying the outdoors. Join our Habitat family and
form lasting relationships, while creating affordable housing
solutions with hard-working families in DuPage County.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance $15,850 for approximately 10 months of
- Segal Education Award of $6,195, upon successful completion of
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance
- Personal and medical leave - approximately 10 days
- Possible forbearance or deferment of qualified student
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker's compensation insurance.
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent
resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and
activities of Habitat for Humanity International and
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with volunteers, teaching or group
- Experience working as a member of a team.
- Basic experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word
- Current valid driver's license, a clean driving record and
- Ability to drive large pick-up trucks (or willingness to
Keywords: Habitat for Humanity, Wheaton , Construction Crew Leader - 2020-21, Professions , Wheaton, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!